Review of major road building projects
Review all major road building projects and divert money towards active travel networks e.g. more coverage of safer cycling and walking infrastructure as well as better public transport links.
Make the environmental impact a much weightier consideration in the planning process for local and national government.
Why the contribution is important
Major road building projects in Scotland contribute to climate change, social inequality and the degredation of environment in a number of ways including:
- Pollution from road construction and traffic.
- Deforestation and impacts on ecosystem.
- Encourages more car journeys leading to higher GHG emissions and more air pollutions
- Diverts money away from active travel and public transport which is more accessible for those on lower incomes.
- Increases flooding due to concreting over grass area.
- Links up major towns and isolates rural communities which already have poor transport infrastructure.
by BethJEco on October 22, 2020 at 03:39PM